There was a certain amount of tongue-in-cheek there.  But it's
by no means uncommon to hear people going on about the rich tones
in the print, etc., etc., and ignoring the actual subject.

With B&W movies, though, there are often other factors at work.
Movies shot in B&W used equipment without the focal length ranges
of modern cinecameras, the audio quality was often not of the best,
and the ravages of time have introduced their own problems.

At the time they were made, people were still marvelling at the
ability to capture anything.  But by now cinephotography has well
and truly crossed the threshold, and instead of being admired
for what it is in isolation it gets measured against reality.
Sadly, many B&W movies don't stand up under that scrutiny.