This is true. I have a Panasonic laptop that suffered a BIOS corruption and
wouldn't even accept password on boot up. No go, no way. Then the b*stards at
Panasonic charged me $100.00 to fix it even though it was in warranty. (They
claimed that I must have "accidentally" changed my password - a multiple step
operation which requires several confirmations.) And they reformatted my hard
drive just out of spite.