G'day Peter,

I think as long as it's not dripping wet when you apply it, you should be fine.

I bought some cheap LCD protectors from my local camera store. They
came with wipes soaked in Isopropyl alcohol in sealed packets. Wipe
the screen to remove any grease, let it dry, apply the protector.
There held fast  by some type electro static charge. it's been on for
5 months and hasn't even thought about coming off.

And no I wasn't worried about frying the circuitry.

There terrible to look through, but good enough for checking exposure.

Dave S