A friend of mine asked for help in picking a DSLR.  She has been using
a Nikon N75 with 28-80 zoom to date.  Prior to that she was using an
old Canon FD mount body.

When she talked to me, she was just about ready to buy the D70 based
on internet hype and the local store being a strong Nikon seller.

We discussed what she wanted to do with the camera now and in the not
too distant future.  Her indication was that, besides family/kid
memories, she had started into portraiture and wanted to continue that
direction.

So with that in mind, I discussed and worked with her on the angle of
manually focusing and composing.  She is a convert away from AF for
this type of work now.  So suddenly the quality of the viewfinder
became very important.  The ability to clearly compose and focus on
the matte screen became among her most important features of the
camera.

I sent her around to look at the D70, RebelXT, Evolt and DS bodies
with this in mind.  She came back and reported the order of usability
of the viewfinder for the stated purpose as
Pentax *istDS
Canon RebelXT
Olympus Evolt
Nikon D70

Yesterday I stopped at the local store and tried the D70 and *istDS
side by side with 50mm lenses on each.  The D70 was barely usable (I
would hate it) and the *istDS was clearly better for this.

So today she picked up her brand new *istDS.  I was very pleased that
someone would get past the hype and really pick something that would
work best for what they wanted to do.

--
Best regards,
Bruce