petit miam wrote:

> Well, I have a screwmount (Spotmatic SP) which does
> not have the word "Honeywell" on it. It is an Asahi
> Pentax. So that blows that theory.

Not exactly.  I bought my Spotmatic in Japan in 1966.  It says "Asahi
Pentax."  At the same time, the same camera was being sold in the US as
a "Honeywell Pentax."  I think Honeywell only had the rights to sell the
Spotmatic in the US, with Asahi using its own brand elsewhere.  At that
time, there were still some in the US who doubted the quality of
Japanese cameras, and others who would still not buy anything from Japan
as a result of the attack on Pearl Harbor and World War II.

Dan
--
Daniel J. Matyola                  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stanley, Powers & Matyola          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]