I've used both lithium and Nimh. Pentax seems to discourage the use of AA alkalines for anything other than emergency use. I'm now using 2300 Sanyo Nimh as my regular batteries for both cameras, with one set of lithiums for backup. The lithiums have a shelf life of ten years or more, which makes them excellent in the backup role. I've had crash-type failures with both lithiums and NImh batteries, but only when they were close to fully discharged.

On Mar 26, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Don Sanderson wrote:

Many of us have had similar things happen.
My solution was to switch to Lithium batteries.
This has resolved my issues 100%.
Others have had good luck with good quality
NiMH rechargables.
The explanation seems to be the voltage fall off
and peak current characteristics of the different
types of batteries.

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin Miller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2005 2:41 AM
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: ist D power failure with battery pack

Ther other night I was out shooting school dinner dances with a ist D
and the battery grip sync with a set of studio lights. Both camera and
grip loaded with fresh AA batteries, lights running off the mains power.

After about 150 shots the camera dies. I ring a friend, he recommends taking the battery pack off and opening the battery compartment on the camera.

"Don't take the batteries out, just shut it up and the camera will be
ok, and leave the battery pack off", he says. Bit like rebooting a
computer, or a mobile phone he reckons.

Indeed the camera works fine for the rest of the night and I shoot
another 350 shots without a problem.

In the instruction manual I found something in the toubleshooting
section with similar advice.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any explanations?