What Bruce said.   The Tamron is solidly built, quick to focus, sharp,
and meters very well.   I haven't tried any of the Sigma or Pentax
24-28-70-75s because I bought the Tamron and haven't been able to
fault it.   VERY good value in Australia (actually cheaper than prices
in the US, through a couple of places namely dirtcheapcameras, but the
value probably tapers off with international shipping).