What a horribly profound statement.  All you have to do is try to
manually focus an *ist film body or a Nikon D70 or most any cheap to
mid level AF camera body anymore to see how true this is.  When I got
my *istD, I chose it partly because of a usable viewfinder for
focusing.  I have since compared it to a Nikon D1x and found them to
be comparable.  Now, I am not saying they are great, but they are
about as good as AF viewfinders are these days.  I expect the high end
Canons to be similar.  But the low to mid level stuff is usually quite
poor and the assumption is that AF will save the day.

--
Best regards,
Bruce