Somebody made a dismissive comment about Pentax being seen as "just an enthusiast's camera", or words to that effect. I can think of few nicer things you could say about a brand.

I am happy to be "just an enthusiast". One day I'll aspire to being just a photographer. Meanwhile, I'll continue to buy Pentax cameras, because they are designed just for taking photographs.

John

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:29:34 -0500, Herb Chong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

although their backs are not against the wall, they are in a very precarious situation in the camera market because digital P&S is basically break even at best for all the players. DSLRs are the place where they must show they can at least stay even in market share or be forced out. if medium format becomes their only viable camera offering, that may bring lots of prestige, but little money, in absolute terms. several of the major financial research firms express open disbelief that Pentax will make any of its camera marketing goals, and the medical imaging products division is no better. FWIW, many of them think the same of Konica Minolta and, to a lesser extent, Nikon.

Herb....
----- Original Message ----- From: "KT Takeshita" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: Future of DA lenses

I think I am seeing a changing Pentax since their foray into the DSLR
market. They consider themselves basically an SLR company as one of their
executives said recently, and it is a matter of life or death for them to
stay in this market. I hope they will certainly be bolder than before. So
far, they do not look like a sleeping cat anymore :-). I have more
confidence in them than before, and actually look forward to their next
products.

-- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.8.5 - Release Date: 29/03/2005