Hi, Alan,

In most cases, the only cure is a meter-ectomy.  As you're probably aware,
new ones aren't available easily.  Well, there may be a few new K-1000
replacement meters around, but they're few and far between.

But, generally, a scrounged meter from a dead Spottie or K-1000 is called
for.  If it's a K-1000 meter, some mods are necessary:  you've got to whittle
down a plastic tab so it will physically fit into the Spotmatic.

There is another possibility:  It may be that the meter pot simply needs to
be cleaned.  I at one point had the instructions as to how to do this.  It
involves taking off the top plate.  I've never done it, as it sounded pretty
cumbersome (and I'm all thumbs), but it may be worth it to avoid changing a
good meter.

As to cost, well that's a problem.  I had a K-1000 meter put into one of my
bodies by my local camera repair shop (Kominek's in Toronto), and it seems to
me that it cost around $100Cdn.  You could almost get a good used one for
that price.  On the other hand, if you know that the body is in otherwise
good shape, it might be worth keeping it going.  If you want to try that
pot-cleaning thing contact me off list, and I'll see if I can find my
instructions and send them to you.

regards,
frank