On 5 Apr 2005 at 22:31, Ronald Arvidsson wrote:

> Hi Fran,
>
> Didn't wan't to sound bully. I'm not always quite clear in mails myself.
> Yes, the latest new designs have benefitted of new glasses, ED and AL,
> however the computerization is equally important in the design. Today
> any feature of the lens, sharpness, contrast, flare,... can be quite
> thouroughly modelled.

However designers have to set realistic design/specification and cost
parameters before any modelling can be undertaken. There is some very
interesting reading about the rigours of lens design inside the Leica factory
in print. Computerization has helped to prove designs but design success still
relies on the expertise of experienced optical engineers.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998