I traded my SMCA* 300/4 in on an SMCA* 300/2.8 ED (IF).

Relative  advantages:

   1 stop faster for easier focusing.
   Tripod mount.
   49mm rear filter (I have lots of them).
   Completely internal focusing (IF).
   Came in it's own box with warranty papers. I sent them in.
   Scares the crap out of people.

Relative disadvantages:

   Weighs more than 3x as much as the A* 300/4.
   Costs a lot more...

       $1200    Price at local store (He had originally asked $1600)
       -  450    That the nice proprietor gave me for the A* 300/4.
------------
         $750 + tax cash from my pocket

I may be wrong, but I think the bottom line is fair.

I am beginning to miss that light weight a bit though...

Regards,
Bob...
"A picture is worth a thousand  words,
but it uses up three thousand times the  memory."

From: "Fred" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Nikkor big, ugly, hard to hand hold. SMC-A*, while not actually pretty, is definitely more ergonomic, and a WHOLE lot smaller (even though its a faster lens).

Whatddaya mean - "not actually pretty"? It's a ~gorgeous~ lens !!!