>From what I was able to see my Olympus C5050
simply stopped down and captured the image.
With the aperture wide open I could see the sensor
thru the lens the whole time the exposure was being
made. At no time did the iris close.
The 5050 is a prosumer grade, far from a simple
camera.

Here is an article from photo.net which covers
"interline transfer" and how it differs from the
technology currently used in DSLRs:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/cameras/basics/

It's in the section under "Sensor Size".

I'm not trying to be argumentitive but most digital PnS's
are capable of capturing video clips, it is the ability
to capture data in "real time" that allows this.
They do not need to trip a mechanical shutter for each
frame.
They simply "freeze" the current image, write it to a buffer,
and go on to the next frame capture.

This was NOT true of many of the early digitals. which
did indeed use a mechanical shutter of sorts.
They however did not capture video or give a real time
preview display.

Bottom line is that everyone's correct, it just depends
on which generation/type of technology is being referred
to.

Don