On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 05:28:13 +0100, mike wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Boris Liberman wrote:

Hi!

Just writing some emails before dinner, raining outside, noticed the
trees over in the east were suddenly glowing crimson. Wandered over into
the kitchen to look west, and saw this scene. I dashed back and grabbed
the 1D, attaching the SMC-A*85mm f/1.4 as I walked outside and into the
rain - carpet slippers onto the grass, and rattled off 9 shots. This at
ISO 320, 1/125 @ f/5.6, handheld.

3 deg of rotation, slight crop, no alterations to colour ( used auto
levels in PS, with standard USM) - I swear to God, this is as I saw it.
Only lasted another 2 minutes and it was gone.

<http://www.cottysnaps.com/snaps/spare5.html>
I was told that swearing shouldn't be done in public... You know, the bAd words? :)
Cotty, you seem to have outdone yourself...
Now, be a good chap, and explain to me what is it "gobsmacking"? Who is "gob" and why it should be "smacking" or "smacked"?

Not who, what. Gob is slang for mouth. So gobsmacked means hit in the mouth. In other words, rendered speechless. Not polite but a common term for something that astonishes.

So people who talk too much are said to be "gobby". It's found more oop Nawff than dan Saff.

John

-- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.9.5 - Release Date: 07/04/2005