On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Thibouille wrote:

I'd be interested to know how well these RAWs would compress with
either RAR, ACE or 7zip format (best settings of course).

249355733 bytes uncompressed            (Full size, 9.5MB avg)
209182171 bytes compressed with 'gzip'  (84% original size, 8.0MB avg)
209185296 bytes compressed with 'zip'   (84% original size, 8.0MB avg)
158154181 bytes compressed with 'bzip2' (63% original size, 6.0MB avg)

bzip2 seems to be about the tightest compression for general-purpose data, so I'd be surprised if you could get much more than that. Remember that the amount of compresison possible is somewhat dependent on the content of the picture (e.g. polar bear in a blizzard is easy to compress).

-Cory