From: "Patrick White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: need hints on selecting picture titles

As I try to come up with PUG entries, I've been noticing that I'm pretty
dismal at selecting titles for my pictures.  I can see that the title, while
not crucial to the photography, is a significant part of the overall
presentation -- put the wrong title on the image and nobody seems to notice
it, whereas put the right title on it and it seems to heighten their
experience while viewing the image.
Do people shoot pictures with a title in mind?  Do they invent a title for
every picture?  Do they pick one out when they need to submit the image to
the PUG?  What kinds of things should go into selection of the title?

thanks,
patbob ([EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED])

No problem Patrick.  Do what I do.  Unless you are trying to portray a
specific mood, be literal.  For example, a photograph of a '62 Chevy could
be titled "62 Chevy", or if it were a photograph of a driver of a '62 Chevy
celebrating a win in a race, it could be titled "The winner!" or
"Celebration!".

Something like that.  The literal photograph of the car has a literal title.
The photograph of the car that is attempting to display the exuberance of
winning has a more descriptive name. The description of the action or
emotion being depicted.

Hope this helps your thought process.  Naming images is rally very personal.

Keith Zimmerman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://homepage.dave-world.net/~vkzimm/gallery5.html