On Apr 13, 2005, at 10:34 PM, Rob Studdert wrote:

From the screen shots I've seen off Mac desk-tops most users seem to be running
a g1.8 desk-top (definitely not g2.2) so in Safari (or any non-CS aware
Browser) the sRGB formatted non-embedded files look quite anaemic.

Hmm, I haven't looked at that. I run 2.2 on my Mac because it's easier on my eyes in a dimly-lit room.

IIRC 1.8 is the standard for broadcast video (PAL/NTSC/etc), but 2.2 is the standard for HD video. Feel free to correct me on that.

So does Safari have an option to pre-set a default CS which would be
automatically applied to files sans embedded CS?

There is a setting but it's not in Safari... it picks up on the ColorSync setting which is accessed under "Preferences" in the ColorSync Utility. I set mine to sRGB because that's what I expect most untagged files to be. I think the default setting is "Generic RGB Profile". The generic profile is virtually identical to sRGB gamut-wise but I don't know about the gamma.

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/