Paul, it's about economics, not quality.

Even more so in the consumer market, because you don't ever need to have a picture printed again. Many, many people are happy with viewing their pictures on the camera LCD. Add the ones who look at them on a computer monitor and you have the great majority of the modern camera buying public. The economic repercussions of this in the photographic marketplace have only just begun.

Dunno Mike,
I think if you drop the print from the consumer equation, you're basically into the realm of home video where stills will loose against moving pictures any day. I think that most of the consumers still shoot stills with a print in mind.

Jostein