>           Tamron SP AF17-35MM F/2.8-4 Di

My husband wanted to get this lens for his Digital Rebel, and he did a lot
of research on lenses in this range. It got great reviews from Canon users
on the DPreview boards. He ended up trying multiple copies of both the
Tamron and Sigma's offering in the same range. He says that with the Tamron,
the problem was edge sharpness, and with the Sigma, he always had focusing
problems. Of course, the Sigma could have had focusing problems because
Canon puts the focusing mechanism on the lens and not the body like Pentax
does.

This all happened in December 2004. Nate thinks, from looking at reviews,
that Tamron might have put out a bad batch of lenses early on. He ended up
springing for the Canon 17-40mm, and he has no regrets. Apparently there are
still people on the DPreview boards who swear by the Tamron.

I understand your dilemma of wanting to put the lens on a film body. I only
buy full-frame lenses, partly for that reason, but I think I'm in the
minority on this list.

Hope this helps,

Amita