If you just put SMC, people might think you mean Santa Monica Colege, that well-known lens manufacturer.

On the other hand, if you put SMCP, people will know you mean Pentax, unless of course they think you mean Sport Medisch Centrum Papendal, who also make fine lenses, as everybody knows.

So you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

John