Hi Boris,
No I don't have a ball head. I have a three-way Bogen 3047 head. If I leave the handles medium tight it allows almost as much freedom of movement as a ball head. It's very smooth and works well for just about everything I do. I don't think the bad bokeh is a function of the converter. Out of focus branches against a bright sky seem to always produce color banding with any long lens. I'll have to try a bokeh experiment using this combination with something that has the potential for good bokeh. Perhaps a flower against a green background. I'll get back to you on that.
Paul