On Apr 18, 2005, at 10:33 AM, wendy beard wrote:
I run into a similar problem when shooting dogsports.
Usually you have to camp in one spot for an event and
the competitors like to see their dog doing a certain
obstacle. Tyre shots are a particular favourite. It's
pretty boring wading through a gallery of dogs jumping
through tyres :-). Less leeway for varying angles on
this obstacle too. I'll always try and set up so that
I have at least two different obstacles I can shoot
for each run.
I expect Dave is stuck with the same thing,
competitors "expect" that jump shot so it's something
the photographer absolutely has to provide. The
experimental fun shots have to take second place.
There are a couple of things I want to try at my next
outdoor trial, some wide-angle full field composites
and some weave sequence shots but I know that I'll
have to sacrifice one of the events to do it or at
least get someone else in to help me cover the "bread
and butter" shots.

This is where having a second body is invaluable. Set it up with a different lens so you can swap easily between the "bread and butter" setup and the "interest shots" setup. While I normally only carry one camera/one-two lenses for the bulk of my photography, when I'm doing an event like this I always like to have at least two bodies and four-six different lenses available so I can experiment and swap setups very quickly.

Godfrey