Photoshop uses its own swapfile and not the operating system one. PaintShop Pro doesn't. this dates back to the first versions of Photoshop when MacOS didn't support virtual memory.

Herb....
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 12:04 AM
Subject: Re: OT: TIF problems

I used to get CAD drawings that had been exported as TIF files, they were of
similar ludicrous pixel dimensions to yours. I was able to work with them on
my AMD 1600 MHz machine with 512 MB system memory. I think I had a 1.5 GB swap
file set. Although you knew you were working with a large file, it certainly
didn't crash or hang. The software I used was Adobe PS 7.