Don Sanderson wrote:
Actually I do have a 19 but it's one of the Vivitar 19/3.8s.
I'm not very fond of it.

Can you describe why you don't like that lens?
Since I have one and use it fairly frequently, I want to see if that's just something I'm missing!
Oh, and is that with the D, or on film cameras?

[...]

I seem to be having a lot of trouble with accurate focusing
with shorter lenses on the D, don't have a clue why, it was
never an issue with the film bodies.
I seem to be consistently focusing well past the intended point.
I'm trying to stick to wide open, fast, primes until I figure
out why this is happening.
Since it also happens fairly often with the FA50/1.7 set to
autofocus, I'm not quite sure it's all me and not partially
the ist-D.
The thing that's still driving me crazy is that the viewfinder
image says I'm focused, so does the confirmation indicator.
But I'm not. :-(

That's the worst part, isn't it,,,
That says to me that you first notice it when you upload those images to your computer or later. That's really too late...

This doesn't happen with lenses 85mm or longer.
I've got 2 film bodies loaded up just to prove I can still
focus properly with them. Very frustrating problem.

Don

That would be very disconcerting to me. I'd be tempted to send it in for repair! That alone would make the camera useless to me.

Good luck,

keith whaley