On 4/10/05, Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There's an old, relatively unknown marina tucked behind some hills and down
> a long, winding dirt road in Richmond, California.  I only had a vague
> knowledge of its existence, and not too long ago decided to find the place
> and see what might be there.  I arrived late in the day, the sun was low in
> the sky and partially obscured by the hills.  This old boat caught my
> fancy, and so, with just a couple of frames of film left, I grabbed this
> shot.  I'd like to get back there some afternoon and make a few more photos.
>
> Technical details: Pentax LX, K85/1.8 @ F4.0, hand held.  Film Fuji
> Superior 100 converted to B&W using the Imaging Factory Convert to B&W
> plug-in.  The plug-n was set to use an orange  filter @ 95%, the tonal
> response was set to Tri-X, slightly adjusted "exposure" and the "print" was
> made using a contrast grade 2.3 paper with a very slight (3%) warm tone to
> the image.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~my-pics/houseboat.html
>
> Comments and crits welcome

I really like derelict houses, boats, cars, trucks and such things.

This is really well captured, IMHO.  The mountains way off in the
background, the long plain between the foreground and those mountains,
the complete lack of human presence, it's all very surreal.  I like
the boat off to the right, with the curving shore drawing our eyes to
the wreck.

And, of course, technically it's suberb.  Wonderful shot, Shel.

cheers,
frank