On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << This may sound a really silly few questions, but I've
>  never seen a monopod. I realise it has one leg, but
>  how do you hold it steady? And when is it better than
>  a tripod? Is it as steady as a tripod? What does it
>  look like?  >>

> You provide the support that is missing from the other two legs.
> You hold it as steady as you can, but it is never steadier than a tripod.

You can easily get a steady shot with a monopod at about 1/15, maybe
1/8. But by that time it's already too slow: if you're shooting
musicians, you get motion blur from their antics on stage.

So the regions where a tripod is more stable than a monopod (the
world of exposures slower than 1/15) is totally useless when shooting
action anyway, and therefore a tripod never gets to realize is
advantages over a monopod in those situations, and you're much better
of with a lighter, less cumbersome support anyway.

--
     ,_