On 25 Apr 2005 at 20:47, David Mann wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2005, at 1:31 AM, Mark Cassino wrote:
>
> > Remarkably - the processor and memory chips survived.  Evertyhing else
> > was cooked.
>
> The CPU has its own regulator which must have been tough enough to
> protect it from the upstream nastiness.  I guess the memory must either
> run off the CPU supply or have another regulator of its own.

Years ago I had to attend to a computer network that was fried, two buildings
were connected using an aerial network cable which was hit directly by
lightening. The boxes were toast, all the boards had fried components,
keyboards, power supplies and drives were not functioning but to my amazement
every Intel CPU pulled from the dead boxed worked flawlessly under load. Most
of the memory tested OK too.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998