On Apr 26, 2005, at 4:35 PM, Brian Dunn wrote:

Take an sRGB image, put it onto a CD, and go around to all the various printing kiosks and order some 4x6s. Amazing variance in results. Whites which go blue, blacks which go green, saturation and contrast cranked way up, colors which are more yellow, cyan, or red than the other machine at the next place, etc.

I'd expect that a lot of machines would have auto-adjustment processes to "enhance" your photos. I'd also expect those features to be "on" by default.

Looking forward to the day when you could bring an image anywhere and get more or less the same results...

It will never happen :)

Before I bought my inkjet printer I sent a test pic to a few different places for comparison. One was my regular camera shop with a big expensive D-Lab, another was a pro lab with a big expensive Lambda, a friend with a well-set-up Epson 2100 and another friend with a reasonably good consumer-level inkjet (don't remember the brand).

In terms of colour reproduction, both of the inkjet printers bettered the labs by a significant margin. I bought my own Epson 2100 and never looked back. I do sometimes miss continuous-tone prints though.

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/