[Original Message]
From: Rob Studdert

On 23 Apr 2005 at 10:10, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

Too much math, not enough photography .... I don't understand the need

for

equations, nor do I understand the math, the equations, or your

conclusion.

Like I said, the field of view, regardless of your math, is greater with
the Zenitar than it is with a 20mm lens on a 35mm camera. Have you

looked

through both focal lengths on a 35mm camera?  Have you actually compared
photos side-by-side?

From a practical perspective you are of course correct Shel, the fisheye

lens

will provide a wider AOV than the a rectilinear lens of equal focal

length.

However due to the physics you will find that the fisheye effect

diminishes as

the image is cropped (and this can be easily described in mathematical

terms,

as Cory showed). So a 16mm fisheye on an APS sized DSLR frame looks far

less

fishy than you might expect.

Cory said: "So, what I *meant* to say is that FOV of the fisheye is about

equivalent to a 13-14mm rectilinear lens on the -DS, or a 20mm

rectilinear

lens on a full-frame 35mm body."

How I interpreted that paragraph was that a 16mm lens on a D or DS body produces an angle of view roughly equivalent to the AOV a 20mm lens will provide on a full frame 35mm body, and I agree.