this is one significant advantage of the Nikon Coolscan series. they use LED illumination which has essentially zero color shift between turning on and scanning. i also believe that there is little color shift over the life of the scanner too. the Microtek scanner that i used to use (it is on extended loan to a friend) required 15-20 minutes warm-up time minimum because it has a traditional lamp.

Herb....
----- Original Message ----- From: "Markus Maurer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 8:29 AM
Subject: RE: Apples and Oranges

My Canon 9900F has a strong magenta cast when not warmed up on the first
scans.
Simply warming up the lamps once does not cure that, after a few preview
scans,
the results are getting better and are quite color neutral.
Sometimes I use the scanner calibration in Scan gear too if the casts are
too strong, that helps.