From: "Godfrey DiGiorgi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

3. And finally presence of MTF, depth, and speed programs on D as opposed to subject dependent programs of Ds.

Can you articulate more fully what these MTF, Depth and Speed programs on the D are? I just skimmed through the D manual and don't see what you mean.

The program pre-sets on the DS are not particularly useful to me, but then again they don't really get in the way; others seem to use them and find them useful.

The programs on the *ist-D (and Pz-1p and Mz-S) always seemed to be a surrogate for subject mode programs to me. The MTF program is unique in that it sets the lens for optimum resolution, which setting is stored in a chip in FA and higher lenses (not sure about F lenses and A's). It seems rather pointless since shutter speed and aperture are usually more important than a slight boost in sharpness.

The speed mode biases the program to faster shutter / wider aperture. The depth mode does the inverse. While not as finely tuned, it seemed that my old Pz-70 (the only camera I had with dedicated subject modes) performed similar to the speed mode in sports and portrait settings (one for the fast shutter, one for the open aperture) and in macro mode performed like the Depth program. I'd expect Pentax has tweaked things out a bit more on newer cameras.

- MCC

Mark Cassino Photography
Kalamazoo, MI
www.markcassino.com
IMHO, D is much more a photographic tool than Ds.

I can't agree about this. Both are fine photographic tools. The D has a few additional features: wireless flash built-in, TTL flash metering with non-A compatible lenses, etc. But these additional features, nice as they might be, do not add up to a judgment of "much more a photographic tool" in my opinion. It's simply a tool with more options, few of which I find I need.

Godfrey