On May 6, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Amita Guha wrote:

I was wondering if any of you bother insuring your gear, and if so, which company you use.

A few years back I looked into our contents policy and found it was only covered up to something like $500 per item.

After upgrading to a better policy (new-for-old, full replacement value, covered anywhere in the country) and nearly doubling the value of our contents cover, the price went up by only a few dollars per month. The only condition was that I had to register any gear that was worth more than $2,000 to replace.

Since I started my business I've had to cover it under a provider of business insurance. The prices are scary, so much so that I've intentionally valued most of it at secondhand rates.

Having said that, I consider insurance to be the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff. A lot of my gear is not easily replaceable so I've taken measures to ensure that the gear is not visible and is difficult to get to. That's a long-winded way of saying that I close & lock its cupboard when I'm out of the house :) It won't stop a determined crim (big dogs are the only way to do that) but opportunists will hopefully find it too difficult to be worth bothering.

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/