>But Ken, we always had control of our images.  With B&W, for example, one
>could choose from numerous emulsions, many ways to expose, a wide choice of
>developers and development techniques, many paper choices and paper
>developers and developing techniques, and an almost infinite number of ways
>to make the final print.  Plus there was toning with many types of toners.

Shel, I'm speaking from a color slide standpoint. Never did a significant
amount of photo processing of any sort.

>What you're saying is that now with digital we have another set of controls
>to learn and master.

For me it's the first set.

>I don't think it's at all about control so much as it is about style and
>technique and preferences.

Okay, control & preferences.

>I also think that a lot of people shoot digital because they are lazy.
>They want the camera to think for them, the
>computer to solve their exposure problems and fix any defects in the image,
>and they want a quick output so they can use the results immediately.

No argument .

>Of course, there are certainly plenty of photographers who don't take that
>lazy approach, and work on their images diligently and with great care, but
>by and large - and i think this is part of a greater trend in society -
>fast is more important than good.  Acceptable has become good enough.  And
>what is acceptable quality is also diminishing - there's a moving bar, and
>it's moving lower and lower.  Let's do the Quality Limbo, mon!

Again no argument.

Kenneth Waller

But Ken, we always had control of our images.  With B&W, for example, one
could choose from numerous emulsions, many ways to expose, a wide choice of
developers and development techniques, many paper choices and paper
developers and developing techniques, and an almost infinite number of ways
to make the final print.  Plus there was toning with many types of toners.

And even with color film there was control, albeit perhaps not quite as
much.

What you're saying is that now with digital we have another set of controls
to learn and master.

I don't think it's at all about control so much as it is about style and
technique and preferences.  I also think that a lot of people shoot digital
because they are lazy.  They want the camera to think for them, the
computer to solve their exposure problems and fix any defects in the image,
and they want a quick output so they can use the results immediately.  Of
course, there are certainly plenty of photographers who don't take that
lazy approach, and work on their images diligently and with great care, but
by and large - and i think this is part of a greater trend in society -
fast is more important than good.  Acceptable has become good enough.  And
what is acceptable quality is also diminishing - there's a moving bar, and
it's moving lower and lower.  Let's do the Quality Limbo, mon!

I think it was Calvin Trillin who, many years ago, wrote an essay entitled
"The Decline and Fall of Breakfast."  I'll never forget the first sentence
of that essay:: "Gone is the butterball, gone is the rightly crisped
rasher."  I was thinking of those words yesterday while trying to enjoy a
bran muffin and a cup of coffeee at one of the local breakfast places
yesterday.  I got a hard little piece of butter wrapped in foil to go with
the muffin and the warm coffee.  The coffee was warm, not hot, because the
restaurant was concerned about law suits should some careless dolt spill
coffee on themselves.  Serving this type of food would have been
unthinkable at this place a few years ago, and now it's acceptable for the
sake of expediancy and cost.  And it's now acceptable to the customers as
well.

Well, I better get off my soap box before being pelted with virtual
tomatoes and eggs.

Shel

directly have before).

PeoplePC Online