He was using the fact that camera *was not* syncronizing right.  The sync
speed is 1/60.  So go into a dark room with the flash.  Fire it at 1/60 and
1/125.  The 1/60 should be evenly lit, and the 1/125 will only be half lit.
 Now fire the shutter between 1/60 and 1/125 - and if more than 1/2 but not
all of the frame is lit, you know it has a stepless shutter.

BTW, as far as I can tell, the KX has a stepless shutter.

Todd