In a normal digital camera with a single CCD, each of the state pixels (3.3,
4 MP, whatever) captures only a single color.  A typical arrangement thus
is:

Row 1: GRGRGRGRG...
Row 2: BGBGBGBGB...
Row 3: GRGRGRGRG...
Row 4: BGBGBGBGB...

and so on.

In order to fulfill the need for a 3 color component for each "pixel" in the
final image, neighboring sensor color values are combined (there are various
algorithms to do this) to form a 3 color pixel.  No, in order for this to
not produce digital artifacts such as color fringing of high contrast edges,
the image on the CCD is slightly anti-aliased, by either or both methods of
slightly defocusing the image, or in software later.

The end result is that there is a loss of detail.

Scanners on the other hand, have 3 rows of sensors:

Row 1: GGGGGG.....
Row 2: BBBBBB.....
Row 3: RRRRRR.....

With this, the G row is exposed, and then a micro step is done (either the
CCD or the film/print), and the B is exposed for the same position on the
image, and then microstepped again to expose the R row.  In practice, all 3
are exposed simultaneously, but for different rows of pixels on the image,
thereby pipelining the operation such that 3 rows of pixels are getting
another color added before the CCD moves along the image to the next pixel
row.

Fuji has an odd arrangement of hexagonal array CCD sensor elements, and
actually produce more fictitious image pixels, and claim a picture pixel
output higher than the CCD sensor count itself (while each CCD sensor is
still a single color).

Hope this helps.

Gerald