It's interesting to reflect that there are only two costs, rent and tax. Wages are rent of a person's time; interest is rent of money; and so it goes on.

John

On Thu, 12 May 2005 02:59:50 +0100, Paul Stenquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Of course. That's true even if you're a worker. Your product is your skills. You sell your skills to the employer. The amount the employer pays for your skills has to cover your taxes and leave you with a profit. There's nothing devious about this. It's simple economics.
Paul
On May 11, 2005, at 9:48 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:

Actually microeconomics analysis shows that mathematically somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 are directly passed on to the consumer. I've never seen the labor side, but I assume the theory is similar. In practice you are pretty much correct, when you trace all the paths the consumer ultimately pays for it all.

Tom C wrote:

I'm convinced of the view that businesses themselves never actually pay tax. It's people that pay tax. All taxes a business appears to pay are actually passed along to the employees in terms of reduced compensation and customers in terms of higher prices.

Of course I have no proof of this, I just heard it, and it kind of makes sense.

Tom C.

From: "John Forbes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: OT: Digital camera sales in the USA
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:28:26 +0100

Sure, but these are still single entities for tax purposes, however much the managers may sub-divide them for administrative purposes.

And your loss-making restaurant will only "benefit" from it's losses (tax-wise) when it makes a profit. It would be far better off, however, making profits from the word go, even if those profits are taxed.

It is never (in normal circumstances) better to make a tax-offsettable loss than to make a profit. Sensible businessmen know that paying taxes means they are making money. People who spend their lives trying to avoid tax would be far better off expending their energies on making taxable profits.

Unless they are professional tax advisors of course. Like Arthur Andersen!

John