UncaMikey wrote:
--- David Oswald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well, there is an SMC Pentax-M 40mm f/2.8 already available (occasionally on eBay) for Pentax 35mm SLR's, which is a full-frame lens.

Unfortunately, that lens does not work with my *ist, which requires an
"A" aperture setting.  That crippled mount, y'know.

I don't own an *ist-D, but I do have an *ist-DS, and I know that despite the "crippled" mount, the *ist-DS will work with non-A (non auto aperture) lenses. This gets discussed here about once or twice a week.

On the *ist-DS, set the custom setting that allows you to use the aperture ring. Set the camera to Manual mode. Turn the aperture to wherever you want it. Push the AE-L button. The camera will momentarily stop down, meter the shot and set the shutter speed accordingly for you. You still have full manual control. Once you get used to it, it starts feeling like using a combination of metered manual and aperture priority.