Of course there are no rules. You may take pictures anyway you like.
Hoewver, many people find images that are composed according to the golden
section pleasing.

If a line is devided into two parts - a and b - and the relation between "a"
and "b" is: a/b = b/a+b. Then the line is devided according to the golden
section.

I believe the "rule of thirds" is some kind of a "poor mans golden section".
It's not quite the same.

http://www.ewersarchitecture.com/golden_section.htm
http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/phi2DGeomTrig.html#ph
i2D

I have once read that scientist have shown, that what most people regard as
a "pretty face", is actually "constucted" from pentagons, which are "in the
golden section family". In nature many things are "constructed" from
pentagons as well.

When photographing I use this relation all the time - no matter if I wnat to
or not. This "rule" is in fact embeded in my spine after half a century of
taking pictures.

Jens Bladt
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://hjem.get2net.dk/bladt