On 5/14/05, P. J. Alling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Two quick shots taken this spring one early one a couple of days ago.
>
> http://www.mindspring.com/~webster26/PESO_--_tothesea.html
> http://www.mindspring.com/~webster26/PESO_--_invatation.html
>
> Both taken with the *ist-D and SMCP FA 20-35mm f4.0
>
> As usual comments are welcome but may be totally ignored.

To the Sea kind of bothers me for a couple of reasons.  First, it
seems to tilt to the right just a bit.  I know, you can't really see
the horizon, but still, it just doesn't seem right in the "level"
department, and I actually find it disquieting to look at for that
reason.

Second (and I could be wrong here), the sharpest elements in the photo
seem to be the bare branches on the upper right.  The background seems
not to be terribly sharp.  There's just not enough strong elements in
the foreground to justify such focusing, IMHO.

But, I could be wrong.

Now, "Invitation", to me, is a very strong photo.  It drips of Small
Town Americana.  I expect Opie to come running out of the door any
minute, or maybe to hear Calpurnia to holler out the window, "Scout,
Jem, come in for breakfast, I made biscuits and gravy!" or something
like that.  A very strong composition, with everything seeming to fit
together just so.

Great title, too.

Again, batting .500;  not a bad average.

cheers,
frank