<snip>If I had to choose one point that I might dispute, it might be
that which suggests that good critiques don't include information in
regard to how someone else might have executed a shot. Sometimes that
kind of input can be helpful, although the recipient has to be able to
judge the quality of the advice. Thanks for the link. Good stuff.

I hear what you're saying, Paul, and I have to admit, I sometimes find
myself falling into the trap (when commenting on others' photos) of
saying, "I'd have done it such and such a way" - it can be hard to
resist.

It certainly does bother me when people say it to me, though.  If one
is critiquing a photo, critique ~that~ photo.  Suggesting other ways
of looking at the situation the next time is fine, but telling
everyone how you (I don't actually mean you, Paul, I mean the generic
"you") would have taken it isn't usually that constructive, IMHO.

All that being said, I agree with the rest of your post.  It's
generally a very good article, chock full of informative tips on both
photoraphy and art.

I particularly liked the the thought that every great photograph was
made on equipment that's older and "less advanced" than "your camera".
 Of course, since I still shoot most of my photos on older manual
focus mechanical cameras, maybe that one doesn't apply so much to all
of us...  <vbg>

Great article, Shel.  Thanks for sharing it.  Like you, I hope it
starts a good discussion.

cheers,
frank