Well said, Rob. I process 600 megabyte scans of 4x5 film on my current computer system without a problem, and my system is already three years beyond state of the art for a Mac platform. I figure to get at least another four years out of it. I find the film math quite amusing, although I once was convinced that it was true. All it took was some real world experience to show how poorly that math translates to the real world of making photographs.
Paul