the research needed to make any reasonable improvement in today's films is very expensive. with the film market contracting at around 18%/yr, it makes no sense to do any more. process and quality control improvements are about all i can imagine them doing. when the boutique film market emerges, then we'll see some action again, but i think that there is going to be huge potential for snake oil claims.

Herb...
----- Original Message ----- From: "William Robb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 7:56 PM
Subject: Re: RE: Leica digital back no longer vapourware

I recall a trade circulation I read a while back indicating that Kodak has essentially stopped doing any sort of film R&D.
They may be making minor tweaks here and there, but I anticipate than any new films from Kodak will be rebadged models from last year, so to speak.
I can't speak for what Fuji is doing, but it would surprise me very much if they were doing much film R&D, considering what their marketing philosophy has been in the past.