Thanks, Paul,

I visit my Mother in Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia two or three times per year,
and I walk by that house dozens of times per visit, often with my camera
around my neck, but I never took it's photo until last year.  Just something
about the light and shadows that day appealled to me.  I'm especially glad
therefore, that you noticed and commented positively on lighting of that
shot

I don't take a lot of architectural shots, so I'm not very practised or good
at it.  Your positive feedback is therefore much appreciated.

Which gets me to thinking that this is exactly why I think that these PUG
commentaries are so valuable.  There were so many amazing submissions this
month, that a shot like mine is not going to get noticed as someone's
"favourite of the month".  Yet (with the greatest of humility), I don't
think my shot is so glaringly awful that it will garner notice for that
reason.  So it's nice that I get some criticism regarding an image that
would otherwise likely be lost in the shuffle.

Which further reminds me that I'd better get off my ass and do my critiques!

Thanks again, Paul.

frank

PAUL STENQUIST wrote:

> Frank Theriault, "Gingerbread"
> I'm a big fan of Victorian architecture, and Frank's rendering of
> gingerbread detail invokes a warm and fuzzy feeling. I'd love to pull up
> a chair on that porch and spend an afternoon sipping iced tea -- or,
> better yet, a good single malt. From a technical perspective, I like the
> balance of light and shadow. The little bit of light that spills over
> into the shadowed portion of the shot is a nice touch. The framing
> appears to be a good choice in terms of illustrating the gingerbread
> detail without turning the shot into just another picture of a house.
> Lens choice seems to be just right. The slightly wider than normal 35
> gives the shot a sense of expansiveness without excessive distortion.
> Nice work.
> Paul Stenquist
> -

"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert
Oppenheimer