Bruce,

I, too, have a film *ist.  You most definitely can use lenses in
positions other than 'A'.  You can also use non 'A' lenses.  From der
manual, which I have in my hands:  Turn the mode dial to custom, use
the four-way selector up and down buttons until you find function 17,
use the left and right buttons to set function 17 value to 2, turn the
mode dial to M (not in the manual, but pretty much necessary).  At
this point the viewfinder display will show 'F--' and the rear lcd
will display a flashing 'Av'.  The camera's meter will not work, but
you can set shutter speed and release the shutter.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com

--
"You have to hold the button down" -Arnold Newman