Because with a variable aperture lens, the aperture changes as you zoom,
and you'd  never know exactly what the aperture is at the time of the
exposure unless you have a new, high tech camera that will read out or
record the aperture.  So, let's say you measure the exposure to be XX sec @
f4.0, and you set the lens at 4.0, and then zoom in/out to frame, while
zooming the aperture will change.

Shel