Jens, Bob ...

I've been reading the discussion between the both of you.  You're both
right, one or the other more so depending on just what and how one wants to
learn about exposure, and how much involvement one wants in the process.
I've made my views on other aspects of the debate known, so I won't rehash
them here.  I will say that it's good that this discussion comes up once a
year or so as the "art" of exposure is disappearing, and we've entered the
age of the "generic" exposure because of all the automation and fancy
built-in metering that cameras contain these days.

Shel

"shadow/highlight"