> From: mike wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2005/05/20 Fri PM 01:39:43 GMT
> To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> Subject: Re: Re: How to photograph animals in the dark?
>

> > From: Jostein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: 2005/05/20 Fri PM 01:03:27 GMT
> > To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> > Subject: Re: How to photograph animals in the dark?
> >
> > Quoting "mike.wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >

> > > I did wonder about beam-breaking apparatus for triggering the shutter
> > > but I think the large opening will be a problem again.
> > >
> > > For both, it will be dark(ish) and probably some form of light
> > > enhancement (i.e. night vision scope - flash is not desireable) will be
> > > needed.
> >
> > Mike,
> >
> > I think there are only two options; the IR alternative that Cotty wrote
> > about,
> > and some solution that involves flash.
> >
> > I agree with you that flash can produce very unpleasant lighting, but a
> > pair of
> > slave flashes and white reflectors can light the barn opening and still
> > leave
> > the background entirely dark. That may be a neat way of doing it.
>
> It's got nothing to do with art 8-)  Bats will be put off by the flash and
> will either not visit the place again or, if it is a roost, stay indoors.
> Even shining a torch into a roost entrance will make them stay at home.  So
> one might get a picture of _a_ bat but will have no idea if more than that
> woud normally use the barn.

Saying that, I've just had an idea.  IR film with a filtered flash.  In
darkness, you can put the opaque IR filter over the flash tube instead of the
lens.  By George, I think I've got it!  8-)))

So it _is_ just a question of throwing money at it......

mike

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software
visit www.ntlworld.com/security for more information