From: Bruce Dayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tom C <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: CF card: normal or Microdrive?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 16:30:22 -0700

Guess I should interject - Until fairly recently I had only been using
CF cards.  Three Lexar 512mb 40X WA, One Kingston 1mb (slow) and one
Dane Elec 512mb (slow).  I picked up a new 4gb Hitachi microdrive
(latest version) and have done quite a bit of shooting (6000 or so)
with all of them.  I am shooting raw and so write speed is of concern.
For all of this, I have been shooting baseball games (as league action
photographer) and only shooting raw.  Full buffers are of some issue
to me.  In testing all the cards, I have found that there is no write
speed difference in the *istD when writing out raw to card with full
buffer between the Lexar 40x cards and the microdrive.  Battery life
seems a bit shorter, but not by that much - certainly not enough to
bother me.  The two slow cards are almost unusable for me as the shot
to shot time on a full buffer is about 5-6 seconds slower than the 40x
cards and microdrive.

All that being said, I am seeing the price of the microdrives being
about 2 times cheaper.  It is still a viable alternative, but not
quite as compelling as in the past.

I still need CF cards as my CompactDrive won't allow me to download a
microdrive to it.  So once it is full, I am done with that card until
I can dump it on a computer.  With the regular compactflash cards, I
can dump them to the CompactDrive and start shooting again.

--
Best regards,
Bruce