On 5/25/05, Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~scbelinkoff/wiwgr.html
>
> Frank and a couple of others wanted to see a somewhat different version of
> this pic, and since i was in a mood to fool around in PS, here's a B&W
> version with, perhaps, a less distracting background.
>
> A split channel technique was used for the conversion.  That's where a
> color image is split into its three component channels, which are then
> stacked one upon the other as layers in a certain order, depending on which
> channel looks best and the closest to the intended final image on top.
> Then each channel is adjusted for tonality and light, and blended for
> opacity, before being flattened into a single layer.  You can even discard
> a channel/layer, as in this case where the blue channel was discarded,
> leaving the image to be made up of the red and green channels only.  The
> technique offers a lot of control, but is time consuming, and the effort
> may not be worth the work for some images. Still, it's a nice technique to
> know.

That works a lot better for me, Shel.

Unlike Paul, I think the b&w does make a great part of the difference.
 Part of the distraction of the first one for me was not just the busy
background and the bright table top, but the colours.  Even with the
background blurred as it is now, I think that colours would distract
me somewhat (but maybe that's just me).

As it is now, I'm spending a lot more time looking at the lady in her
situation, which I find very compelling.

cheers,
frank