Frank:

Thank you very much for your kind comments.  I was so faxcinated by the
unique qualities of Russian church architecture that I couldn't decide which
of these shots to submit, so I ended up using this montage.  Unfortunately,
it doesn't show some of the detail as well as I the individual shots,
especially for the wooded churches.

Thanks again, Dan

Frank Theriault wrote:

> My second PUG assignment this month is Dan Matyola, "Russian Churches":
>
> Each image in this montage stands alone as a wonderful image.  Together,
> they tell a story of how important religion was in pre-revolutionary
> Russia.  That a relatively impoverished country could muster the
> resources and will-power to construct such beautiful churches is
> awe-inspiring.
>
> While you chose to include the most spectacular part of each building
> (the spires) in each image, you portrayed the diversity of each to show
> each one as a unique structure.  The different colours in the spires,
> and the varying patterns of them is quite beautiful.  I'm guessing that
> you used different focal length lenses to get a different perspective of
> each one, and you did that very effectively.  I especially like the long
> shot of the Church of Our Savior of the Spilt Blood, reflected of the
> water in the foreground.  It contrasts nicely with the close-ups of the
> other spires.
>
> The lighting (looks like later in the afternoon?) of the aforementioned
> long shot, along with the two at the bottom is particularly dramatic.
>
> All in all, a lovely work.  Thank you.
>
> regards,
> frank
>
> --
> "The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The
> pessimist fears it is true." -J. Robert
> Oppenheimer
>
> -

Daniel J. Matyola                  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stanley, Powers & Matyola          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Suite203, 1170 US Highway 22 East  http://danmatyola.com
Bridgewater, NJ 08807              (908)725-3322  fax: (908)707-0399